While this list is in no way all-inclusive, it will give you a great starting point to figure out what’s working, what needs updating and what can be simplified.
- What were your top 5-10 blog posts this year?
- These topics resonated the most with your readers, so keep them in mind for future posts.
- Take note of the questions from readers in the comments.
- Can you expand on any of the questions in new posts or expand on the topic itself? Write an update post?
- Where is most of your traffic coming from?
- If you spend a lot of time on Facebook but are seeing an increase in traffic from Pinterest, it’s time to switch up your strategy. Focus on more Pinterest-friendly images (long images with big text) and make sure your profile is filled in with your blog information. (Most of my clients are experiencing this exact scenario).
- If you’re advertising, has it been worth it?
Technical Clean Up
- Are there any plug-ins you’re not using that you can remove? Are your plugins up to date?
- You don’t want to waste page load time on plug ins you aren’t using.
- You should keep everything up to date for security reasons.
- Do you have any broken links?
- You can check this easily by adding Google Webmaster Tools to your blog (if you don’t already have it).
Post Clean Up
- How do your top 5 posts look?
- Can you update the images for social media or update the meta data for search engines? (title tag, meta description, alt tags on images)
- How can you re-purpose your best content?
- Post a roundup of most popular posts that year.
- Schedule them to be re-promoted on your social channels – pull quotes, use a different title, use a different image for Pinterest, etc.
Visual Clean Up
- Is there anything in your sidebar that isn’t vital?
- Do you have ads that are only earning you a few cents every month? Having your blog look clean and simple is probably worth more than that ad is earning you.
- Are you cluttering up your site with badges, “awards” and things that don’t really add value to your readers?
- Is everything in your sidebar aligned and similar in size? This simple change can make a huge impact on the professional-look of your blog.
Do you audit your blog at the end of the year (or any time)? What do you check and update?