One of the questions I hear the most from new business coaching clients is, “Do I really need to learn how to use Twitter? I just don’t get it.”
But for me, I have the most followers on Twitter. (However, Pinterest sends the most social traffic to my website, making up 55% of my monthly traffic overall, in fact, but that’s a topic for another day!)
Twitter describes the platform as, “The fastest, simplest way to stay close to everything you care about.” It has become one of the top news sources, often beating out news agency’s for breaking stories.
Business Insider calls it the fastest way for news to spread. “Twitter is the fastest way to spread thoughts. Not the kind of thoughts about what you’ll eat for lunch. The kind of thoughts that have global impacts.”
Why should entrepreneurs use Twitter?
- 500 million+ people are on Twitter
- 47% of people who follow a brand on Twitter are more likely to visit that brand’s website
- Here’s a helpful interactive infographic on The Value of a Twitter Follower
- Easy, fast way to interact and get news on the move or in a time crunch (which most entrepreneurs deal with, right?)
- It’s an easy way to provide customer service
- 74% of people who follow small and medium sized businesses (SMBs) follow to get updates on future product
- Twitter is becoming more visual. Tweets with photos tend to get more interaction
Whether these stats and benefits have convinced you or not, I still recommend giving it a try. That’s the best way to see if it’s a good fit for you and your business.